Sunday, January 18, 2009

Reason 8

I don't know quite how to explain this reason... I'll just explain my last subway ride.
I was traveling from the Bryant Park Station, heading downtown. I'm wedged between two Hispanic girls (I'm not profiling. They spoke Spanish.) around the age of 13. They enjoyed cursing.
First a man walked by with a dirty cup and shoves it in our faces. I didn't know what he was doing. Is he trying to kill me? No, silly. This is New York. He just wants my money. Then he said something inaudible. I just ignored him. When people sing neat songs or give a sad speech in the subway I am much more likely to give money (for future reference). 
The girls continued to curse and I pretended like I couldn't hear them. I turned my iPod up. 
Then a man darts through the train yelling something. I turned my iPod down just in time.
"Everyone thinks this isn't affecting them! You better start taking this stuff personally! 'Cause when it happens to you, you will talk it personally! 240,000 people are getting laid off this month, people. 240,000! Wake up and smell the coffee!"
The tween on my right said "I smell the hot chocolate. Fuck! Haha" and then took a sip of her hot chocolate
The tween on my left (a little older than the first, maybe 14 1/2 years old) "I already got laid off so shut the fuck up nigga!" 

I turned my iPod back up. 

Why is everyone here so strange and angry here...

No comments:

Post a Comment